Have you recently been referred to a nephrologist by your primary care doctor? Nephrology in Lighthouse Point is very helpful for patients suffering from chronic or severe kidney issues. Here is what you should know about the type of medicine they practice.
1. Nephrology is a medical specialty specifically focusing on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the kidneys.
Nephrologists are doctors that specialize in improving kidney health. They treat conditions such as chronic kidney disease (CKD), kidney stones, kidney cancer, infections, and much more.
2. Nephrologists oversee dialysis treatments.
Many nephrologists offer dialysis, a treatment for CKD. According to the American College of Physicians, “A major role of nephrology is the oversight of dialysis (including hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis) in patients requiring renal replacement therapy, and participation in the kidney transplant process, if indicated.”
3. Nephrologists and urologists may treat similar conditions, but they are in different fields.
Nephrology is not the same speciality as urology, even though they both treat issues such as kidney stones. Nephrologists focus solely on the kidneys, while urologists have a broader area related to the entire urinary tract, including kidneys as well as the bladder and other aspects.
4. Your nephrology care team may include a dietitian.
This is especially true with patients undergoing dialysis. A renal dietitian focuses on nutritional needs specifically related to kidney health. They help patients understand the importance of diet as it relates to the kidneys, so people with CKD can live a healthier life. Renal dietitians develop a custom nutrition plan based on the patient’s individual fluid needs, blood chemistry, and current nutritional standing. Diet therapy is proven effect and is critical in the care of CKD patients.
5. Here’s how to prepare for your first appointment for nephrology in Lighthouse Point.
What to bring:
- Copies of relevant lab work relating to your kidneys
- Insurance card
- List of all medications, supplements, and herbs
- List of questions / concerns you have
Also, if you monitor your blood pressure at home, bring your monitor. This way, your doctor can ensure that it is accurate.
If you need a specialist in nephrology in Lighthouse Point, call the friendly office of First Class Kidney Care today at 754-307-9256.