If you’ve been referred to a nephrologist, or kidney doctor, you likely have a lot of questions about your health and what your next steps are – especially if you’re undergoing dialysis. After you find a kidney doctor in Deerfield Beach, it is best to prepare a list of questions to ask your renal physician. This helps ensure you get the answers you need to your important health questions.
Here are important questions to ask your kidney doctor in Deerfield Beach.
- Am I eligible for home dialysis? If you’re able to dialyze at home, you have much more freedom and independence. You get to do dialysis when and where it’s best for you and your schedule.
- How long will I be on dialysis? What is the goal of treatment? Dialysis is very rarely temporary, but you want to know if it’s possible for your kidneys to repair themselves. Most people are on dialysis until they receive a kidney transplant. Not everyone is a good candidate for a transplant however, and will need to permanently remain on dialysis.
- What are the side effects of treatment for end stage renal disease (ESRD)? There are multiple types of dialysis, which come with different side effects. Ask for a clear picture of what to expect during and after treatment.
- Are there lifestyle changes I can make to help improve my condition or effectiveness of my treatment? Talk to your doctor about what you can do, such as dietary changes, exercise, and stress management to help live the healthiest possible life.
- Is there anything else I should know? You don’t know what you don’t know, which means you may not be asking all the questions you should. Asking your kidney doctor in Deerfield Beach allows them to share important information with you that you may not have realized you needed.
Choose your renal physician wisely.
After being diagnosed with ESRD, keep in mind that your kidney doctor in Deerfield Beach should address any and all concerns you have. Find a caring, compassionate provider such as Dr. Agha, who will take time with you to answer all of your questions.